Saturday 30 August 2008

Culture Shock

Let me, today, count the culture shocks I've been subjected to in Saigon

MOTHER NATURE'S CALL
Vietnamese men are oblivious to anything when it comes to Mother Nature's call. They shed all inhibitions (I think there isn't any in the first place) when MN comes a calling, park their bikes, cars etc and let it go in the full face of the public.


















TRAFFIC
"Organized chaos" is my favourite description. How then do you describe a situation where traffic comes at you in all directions and disperses without incident (well, most of the time)? I was horrified and terrified at my first encounter...have gotten used to it by now and even gathered my courage (actually it was Hobson's choice) and now I run around on my own scooter. I still perspire (cold sweat and hot ones too) when I'm out on the roads.
















FOOD & DRINK
I've got used to most food in Saigon. I laugh at strange menus like porcupines and some animal's penis - no, have not tried that. Not dog meat either although it's sold here. I've drank weasel droppings' coffee (weasels are fed with coffee beans and coffee made out of their droppings). I've eaten their noodles with coagulated blood (use to do that when I was young). Except for the "egg"... that is one thing I cringe at (they serve the same in the Philippines - a duck hatchling almost fully formed, still encrusted in the shell, steamed and scooped with a teaspoon...feathers and bones and all. Urgh!!!

MANNERS

Let not the pot call the kettle black. Singaporeans' manners are far from cultured. But there are still a lot of getting used to when living here.

Vietnamese have little respect for social distance. They can walk right through you without the slightest thought. They can lean/press on you when they sit; they push and shove without batting an eye. I used to say "sorry" (like a true-blue Singaporean) when I bump into them or they into me, until I realized I was the only idiot doing that.

Next, Vietnamese love their toes. For some strange reason, it's a national pastime that when they sit, they must lift up their legs and play/scratch/rub/dig and do whatever with their toes.

Legs up. Yes, literally. Happens most frequently when seated in a public bus. They like to put their legs up on the next seat - so if you happen to see a toe or a few toes next to your face, or resting on your arm, do not be alarmed.

Picking nose. Another fav of Vietnamese here. Almost as common as "legs up".

I observe a total contrast in their speaking habits, esp with the ladies, which I have no explanation for. On occasions, they can be sharp and loud one moment, then soft and demure the next. I've commented to some that they sound as if they are quarreling but it is not so.

Littering is prevalent here. Maybe because an army of sweepers descend on the streets at night, many Vietnamese think that this gives them the right to throw their rubbish just about anywhere. There are more bins nowadays, and Vietnamese do pack their rubbish in plastic bags generally, but the attitude remains that whatever you throw on the streets will be cleaned away the next day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was born and grew up in that "culture", and now sitting here, ten of thousands of miles away, decades of years apart, I can comprehend the "shock" you are experiencing.