Friday 22 May 2009

I met Mega Shark & Giant Octopus

Not only did I meet them, I got bitten by Mega Jaws and squashed by Gigantic Ock! I can't decide which is worse ... "ah long san" at home or "cheng hu nang" (aka MS & GO) here. The "mata" came again today ... passed everything after something to "minum kopi". Last week, it was the local MOH people. Our previous visitors were from SCDF's counterparts, the "mata" and various depts of the local MOE here, something like our clusters in SG. (Understand that I have to use our local SG terms here.) They all want to "minum kopi" with us. Seems like foreigners are easy pickings for them. In a sense, we are held hostage. We don't entertain them, they don't entertain us - delay this, reject that etc etc. Sounds like old SG in the 60s - our "pai-kias" and their "bao hu fei". Very tired of this. It's already hard enough trying to make a decent living here without having to deal with such problems. So pray tell me, which is worse, "ah long san" at home or my "cheng hu nang" here? Be grateful ... extremely grateful for our efficient and clean civil service - don't take them for granted. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi hi, very interesting to read your entries about your obstacles in vietnam. I'm a teacher too...will be visiting HCM in June 1st week to recharge on my own. I wanna shop at Ben Thanh Market. Is there any advice which hostel or budget hotel is great there? Will prob need wi fi. Really appreciate some advice here from the GURU :)

Till then, stay strong!

Ben said...

Hi there. My family and friends usually stay at this budget hotel-Sao Nam Hotel- in the backpackers area (Pham Ngu Lau - PNL) which is 10 minutes walk to Ben Thanh. Very convenient and reasonably priced. Or you can just take a cab from the airport to PNL and check out the many budget hotels there. There are also several hotels at the back of Ben Thanh market - reasonably priced too. Same as above - just go and choose one. No problem at all.

You can have a look at http://hcmc.pbworks.com - a wiki for my friends who are visiting HCMC.

Pls email me at bennett2006@gmail.com if you need more info.

stefanie chua said...

Hey..I ve been secretly reading your blog and i find it really brave of you to start a total new life in vietnam. But i haven got the courage, at least not now. =)

Anyway like the anonymous poster said, stay strong. I guess thats the only solution you have, unless u can find a way to stop those people.

By the way, my god dad started his RV center Hanoi in HCMC. He is a singaporean who lived in vietnam for many years. Probably you could seek his help on dealing with such issues?

Email me @ stefaniechua@yahoo.com.sg if you need any information to him. Will pass you his email.

Anyway how are you? i ve graduated and unemployed =X Waiting for my uni to start in Aug.
=)

Take care