Wednesday 24 November 2010

Why we love HCMC

Joyce needed a pair of glasses - progressive, anti-reflection, light and thin. She checked with her optician in Toa Payoh (Singapore) for a new one - that will set her back some S$800-900 with frame. The last time we made it here with Tien My (see photo below), it costs over a million dong (about S$100) then. But it was heavy and thick, so she didn't use it. We have been making many spectacles with Tien My for the last 3 years as their prices were reasonable.

This time, we tried the neighbour (Nhan Quang) and had a pleasant surprise. The frame cost 500,000vnd and the lens 800,000vnd - total 1.3 mil vnd (about S$78). It turned out to be as good as the old glasses made in Singapore. So one can fly to HCMC (from Singapore), make a pair of progressives, have a 4D3N holiday that includes airfare, accommodation, food and shopping and probably still have some spare change leftover to save in POSB!!!

If anyone's interested, please visit :

Hieu Kinh Nhan Quang
104 Le Thanh Ton St, Dist 1
Ho Chi Minh City
(the road at the back of Ben Thanh Market)
Tel : 38292206
Mobile : 0909 925 558 (Ms Loan)

Look for Ms Loan - she speaks good English and is such a pleasant and cheerful lady. She also knows her work well (from our conversation with her) and is able to give very professional advice. And talking about service, we got our 2 pairs of glasses done overnight (Mum made a pair of progressives too).

Nhan Quang and Tien My














Ms Loan is at the extreme right

11 comments:

Fe d e rico Zarathustra said...

yo quisiera vistar vietman.. y platicar con su gente.... muchos saludos y suerte :)

Irene said...

Hey Bro, the comment translated from Spanish is ' I would encounter vietman... and talk to your people.... many greetings and good luck ' . Hope it's correct - I used Bing translator :)

Ben said...

Thanks very much for the translation - I was wondering what he said.

stefanie said...

Time for me to visit Vietnam soon again for new glasses! =)

Ben said...

yes...any reason is a good reason to come visit Vietnam :)

Anonymous said...

yo quisiera = I would like
su gente = its people or your people

:)


Sarah

Ben said...

Cảm Ơn = Gracias = Thank you :)

Woei Lee said...

Hi Bennett, many thanks for your Blog. I will be going over to HCMC this coming Wed (29 Feb). I think I will get a new pair of glasses from this Optic shop when i am there. I will be staying at Sanouva Hotel, just 200m from this shop.
By the way, do you happen to know any good tailor in HCMC?

Thanks.

Ben said...

Hi Woei Lee, just look for Ms Loan (boss) or Ms Ngoc (asst) when you're at the specs shop. Can't help you much with tailors - I don't make my clothes with them. But I'm told there are some good and reasonably priced tailors at Pham Ngu Lao (Backpackers' Area)- you need to shop around and compare prices though. Hope you have a great stay here.

woeilee said...

Hi Bennett, thanks for your advise. Got my glasses made by Ms Loan. Great lady. Good quality stuff for the price paid.
Thanks again for the recommendation.

yilong said...

Just made w pair of specs with them, hope it turns out well!