Tuesday 29 April 2008

Olympic Torch in HCMC





















Came into town as I was bored...and found that the Olympic Torch is in town! Great! Workers were putting up the stage in the afternoon at the Opera House - problem was I didn't know when it will all happen. Bigger regret was that I didn't bring my camera. A kind China-man gave me his flag as souvenir and told me the ceremony will start at 4pm. I was there at 4+ but the torch bearer only started his run at about 7.30pm!! Waited almost 3 hrs to catch a fleeting glimpse of someone running by with the torch. Screwed up my phone's camera and had no pix to show for my 3-hr wait...urghhh!! Oh well, it's a rare treat to be where it was happening - once a lifetime thing!

Tomorrow will be a public holiday in Vietnam - the 33rd anniversary of the liberation of Vietnam's southern region, and the day after, 1 May, will be the world's 122nd May Day and a public holiday too, of course. With many expected to take Friday off to make a super-long weekend, the country is braced for a 20% percentage increase in domestic travel.

Banner welcoming the O-torch to HCMC















Enthusiastic China Supporters















Photo for souvenir















Car being towed away for blocking the road















A section of the crowd

No comments: